Well it is that time of year when the birds start singing, the sun starts shinning and the 50’s music is in full swing! Our next show is Life Could Be a Dream and it is going to be a fun filled show with many favorites from the 50’s including “Sh-Boom.” Did you know that song was originally recorded by the Chords! It was a top ten chart topper in 1959, recorded both by The Chords and The Crew-Cuts!
Here are some fun facts about the 50’s!
- In 1951 CBS Broadcast it’s first baseball game in color: Brooklyn Dodgers vs. Boston Braves
- In 1951 the cost of a first class stamp was 3 cents.
- In 1952 Mr. Potato Head was the first toy to be advertised on TV.
- In 1954 Elvis Presley made is first recording called “That’s All Right.”
- In 1955 Disneyland opened in Anaheim, CA.
- In 1956 Norma Jean Mortenson changed her name to Marilyn Monroe.
- In 1957 Wham-O began production of Pluto Platters, also known as the Frisbee.
- In 1957 the Detroit Lions defeated the Cleveland Browns (59-14).
- In 1958 the Wham-O company trademarked “Hula Hoop” and within 6 months, they sold 20 million.
- In 1959 Ruth Handler introduced “Barbie” at the New York City Toy Fair.
So there you have it a look back on the 50’s! Full of poodle skirts and chocolate malts! You don’t want to miss this show, it will leave you singing, dancing and smiling all the way out the door! Visit mbtheatre.com for more information or call the box office at 248.370.3300 for tickets. Get them now because they are going fast!
-Casey S. Hibbert©